Thursday, January 6, 2011

Separation Anxiety...


It is surreal driving long distance at night. You feel almost weird when there is no one else on the road except yourself. The only light you see around comes from your own headlights and there is no one to give you company but the lonely moon watching over you from far away.

I look at the moon from the side of my eye as I drive down this seemingly never ending road hoping to reach yet another strange destination soon. I look at the moon and think about all those I have associated the moon with and all those who have associated the moon with me. In this dreamlike light of the moon, I gaze over the shining fields and picture the lost lovers, the forgotten friends, and the never acknowledged faces. I leave yet another place and become a lonely traveler in yet another city. I pity myself for being alone and leaving those I left and leaving those I had to leave.

And as I pity myself, suddenly I see another lonely car passing by me going in the opposite direction. As it approaches me, he turns down his headlights and I turn down mine. We come close for a brief moment in acknowledgment of each other before we go back to blackness of the road.

And every time that happens, no matter how scarcely it does - when two cars meet at night on a lonely road, when they dim their headlights for each other and their paths cross for that short moment during their journeys in opposite directions... I feel like I am NOT ALONE in this world.


-omi

2 comments: